Southside Baptist Church


Vintage Crimson

IMG_3451

During the Great Depression, there was a revival in American spirituality.  Many churches were expanding as their memberships grew.  Originally a ministry of First Baptist Church of Tuscaloosa, Southside Baptist Church was organized in 1921 as an independent congregation with 73 founding members.   In 1940, the church purchased the Drish House from the City of Tuscaloosa for $4,000.00.  Services began there in 1942.  The two year interim was spent altering the house to fit the needs of its new owners.  The Drish House was transformed once again.

IMG_3452

The Baptist church did not allow ornamentation, so the elaborate plasterwork was ripped away.  The walls separating the cross hall from the double parlors were removed so that the newly enlarged space could be used as a sanctuary.  The wide heart pine floors were replaced with narrow oak planking.  The dining room was converted into a church kitchen, with an original door…

View original post 231 more words